LG have unveiled their latest flagship smartphone in Berlin ahead of the IFA show kicking off tomorrow.
Taking design inspiration from the G6 which launched in March at Mobile World Congress, the V30 features the 18:9 ratio full body display, and despite that is shorter and narrower than its predecessor the dual-screen V20.
LG refer to the dimensions as resulting in a “firmer, more confident grip” and that’s a key for LG as a differentiator to Samsung’s S8 and Note 8 which have a curved edge screen – some see that as uncomfortable to hold, while the LG G6 and this V30 have a more standard feel despite the huge screen to body ratio.
The screen is described as “OLED Full Vision display” which LG say is a first, as is the 1.6 aperture camera lens. Paired with the “Crystal Clear Lens” LG are pushing hard on their camera credentials with the V30.
While it might not have the portrait effects of the Note 8 and iPhone 7 Plus, LG are hoping we’ll notice brighter and clearer shots from the V30.
The V30 comes with premium sound using a Hi-Fi Quad DAC and tuning by B&O Play – a partnership that started with the G5 early last year.
Importantly, as the “voice assistant” race ramps up with Siri, Alexa, Cortana and Google battling out for your voice – the V30 comes with Google Assistant running on Android 7.
Another popular smartphone feature, which started with the Samsung Note 7 and has since made its way into the S8, Note 8 and likely the next iPhone is facial recognition.
LG puts Facial Recognition into the mix as one of four login options alongside voice recognition, fingerprint sensor and of course a PIN.
While details of Australian availability haven’t been made clear, an LG Australia spokesperson said “LG Australia is excited at the expansion of the LG V series, with the global announcement of the LG V30 smartphone at IFA in Berlin.
The LG V30 is further evidence of the LG commitment to develop smartphones with diverse capabilities that cater to the varying needs of consumers. Information about the release of the LG V30 in the Australian market will be shared as soon as it becomes available.”
LG V30 Key Specifications:
- Chipset: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 835 Mobile
- Display: 6.0-inch 18:9 QuadHD+ OLED FullVision Display (2880 x 1440 / 538ppi)
- V30: 4GB LPDDR4x RAM / 64GB UFS 2.0 ROM / MicroSD (up to 2TB)
- Rear Dual: 16MP Standard Angle (F1.6 / 71°) / 13MP Wide Angle (F1.9/ 120°)
- Front: 5MP Wide Angle (F2.2 / 90°)
- Battery: 3,300mAh
- Operating System: Android 7.1.2 Nougat
- Size: 151.7 x 75.4 x 7.3mm
- Weight: 158g
- Network: LTE-A 4 Band CA
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 5.0 BLE / NFC / USB Type-C 2.0 (3.1 compatible)
- Colors: Aurora Black / Cloud Silver / Moroccan Blue / Lavender Violet
- Others: IP68 Water and Dust Resistant / MIL-STD 810G Compliant / Crystal Clear Lens / 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC / HDR10 / Daydream / Google Assistant / UX 6.0+ / Voice Recognition / Face Recognition / Fingerprint Sensor / Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 3.0 Technology / Wireless Charging