EFTM: Disclosures & Commercial Interest
By Trevor Long; With over 20 years experience in the Media I’m all for full disclosure. I’ve worked in or been associated with Talk-Radio for all of that time and have seen the good the bad and the ugly of commercial disclosure. For that reason I’m keen to publish details of commercial arrangements I have to ensure my readers and listeners have the best chance of transparency around what I do.
These policies and approaches apply not only to me, but to Geoff and Chris who write for EFTM off their own bat while holding down full-time jobs. Being Self-Employed, the transparency around this is important to me and I’m glad my views are shared by Geoff and Chris. As the owner of EFTM, I feel the commercial activities here at EFTM reflect on me, and likewise the commercial activities of me Trevor Long reflect upon all the media outlets I report for, speak to, appear on and write for.
My editorial policy is very simple. No one, no company, no amount of money can dictate my opinion or the topics I choose to talk about and write about.
In some outlets and appearances I have direct editorial control, for others I have none. Topics and Items written about here at EFTM and on Your Tech Life are entirely my decision. Topics I discuss on the radio across Australia each week are put together by me and pitched to the radio stations involved. Each station will determine which if any they use as topics for the week, adding their own where they choose. Television appearances are either the result of outreach from the program, or an idea pitched by me to the program.
I have never, and will never accept payment in return for a guarantee of publicity via any media channel. Any post here at EFTM that is written externally will be labelled a Sponsored Post, while any advertorial content will be clearly labeled as such.
It should be noted that in many cases companies who take the time to meet me, work with me on their product announcements and overall have a more direct one to one approach to dealing with me will almost always have more success in actually having me understand their product or service which is in most cases the hardest part of getting to know a product – a difficult thing to do from just an email! Without question this can result in more articles and topics of discussion about a product, knowing something well can do that!
Sponsored Posts, Sponsored Tweets
To clarify – If a company wishes to post content on EFTM for a fee, we will consider it. If we think it’s something that fits with our content approach we’ll take the money. The posts will be authored by “Sponsored Post”.
On Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, if we specifically accept money in return for posting the message, it will contain the hashtag #Spon (or #sp if we really can’t squeeze it in). But frankly, that’s not our game – so don’t expect to see it much. But yes, we can, will and enjoy promoting content we’ve worked on – sponsored content included, so we will at times link to sponsored content on our social media channels.
Funnily enough, we’re all pretty passionate about cars, technology and all things EFTM. So please don’t confuse passion with “paid to”. We’ll tweet what we want, when we want, about whomever we want – and you’ll know if we were paid to do so from the hashtag.
Being so far away from some of the biggest events in the world, in both Technology, Motoring and other areas – from time to time we are invited to attend events or product launches overseas, or travel to see things overseas as what is known as a “Media Famil” (Intended as a trip to Familiarise reporters with a product or company). We intend to publish here on this page a regularly updated list of our travels, including the purpose of the trip, and who funded the travel.
- 2015 (not an exhaustive list – off memory)
- Trevor travelled to Barcelona to attend Mobile World congress as a Guest of Ford
- Trevor travelled to Shanghai to attend CES Asia as a guest of Ford
- Trevor travelled to Beijing to attend Lenovo World as a guest of Ford
- Chris travelled to San Francisco to attend the “Go Further” event as a guest of Ford
- Trevor travelled to Berlin to attend IFA as a guest of Sony
- Trevor travelled to San Francisco to attend an Apple Event as a guest of Apple
- Geoff travelled to Japan as a guest of Nissan Australia to see the NISMO Festival and factory tours
- Trevor Long, Adam Phillips, Geoff Quattromani and Rob Locke travelled to Las Vegas USA to attend CES 2016. EFTM’s expenses for this trip were funded by sponsorship support from Intel, Hisense, Sony, Samsung, LG and Alcatel One Touch
- Trevor: Melbourne to attend the Nissan Motorsport launch at Phillip Island as a guest of Nissan
- Trevor: Auckland, New Zealand as a Guest of Vodafone for the launch of their “No Extra Cost roaming plans”
- Trevor: Barcelona and Amsterdam as a guest of Huawei to attend Mobile World Congress and see city and stadium WiFi solutions in Amsterdam.
- Geoff: Adelaide as a Guest of Lexus to drive the new GS-F
- Trevor & Geoff: Melbourne, as guests of EPSON for the Melbourne Formula One Grand Prix
- Trevor: Melbourne, as a guest of Hisense at the Melbourne Formula One Grand Prix
- Trevor: New York, as a guest of Acer for their Next at Acer 2016 product showcase
- Trevor: Melbourne, as a guest of Oppo for the R9 launch
- Trevor: Bali, as a guest of Huawei for the P9 product testing
- Trevor: San Francisco as a guest of Apple attending WWDC16
- Trevor: Brisbane, as a guest of Ford attending the launch of the Focus RS
- Trevor: Byron Bay, as a guest of Jaguar attending the launch of the F-Pace
- Trevor: Berlin, as a guest of Sony, for IFA 2016
- Trevor: San Francisco, as a guest of Apple, for Apple’s September Event
- Trevor Long & Rob Locke: Detroit, as a guest of Ford Australia, for Further with Ford conference
- CES 2017: Trevor Long, Geoff Quattromani, Chris Bowen, Rob Locke, Peter Alexiadis, Nic Healey & Doug MacDougall representing EFTM in Las Vegas. Coverage Supported by Intel, Samsung, Sony, Hisense, Nissan, Vodafone
- Trevor: Melbourne, Guest of Suzuki – Launch of Suzuki Ignis
- Trevor: Bathurst & Canberra, Guest of Audi – Launch of the Audi S4
- Trevor: Bathurst, Guest of Nissan Australia – Launch of the Nissan GT-R Nismo
- Geoff: Boston, USA; As a guest of Sonos
- Trevor Long & Rob Locke; Attending Mobile World Congress in Barcelona with coverage support from Huawei, Oppo & Vodafone Australia
- Chris: Tasmania, for the launch of the Audi A5 as a guest of Audi
- Geoff & Trevor: Melbourne Formula One Grand Prix, as guests of Epson
- Geoff & Trevor: Melbourne Formula One Grand Prix, as a guest of Hisense
- Trevor: New York for Samsung Unpacked as a guest of Samsung
- Chris: Victoria, For the launch of the MG GS
- Chris: Tasmania, For the launch of the Audi A5 Coupe
- Trevor: Melbourne, for River4Ward Sony Fundraising Event, as guest of Sony
- Trevor: Melbourne, for the launch of Virgin Australia Wifi, as guest of Virgin Australia
- Chris: Victoria, For the launch of the Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
- Chris: Victoria, For the launch of the Nissan Xtrail
- Trevor: Salt Lake City, for the launch of the Ford GT, as a guest of Ford Australia
- Trevor: Taiwan, for a product launch and Factory Tour, as a guest of HTC
- Chris: Victoria, For the launch of the Audi A5 Sportback
- Trevor: London, for the ICC Champions Trophy Cricket & Product Demonstrations, as a guest of Intel
- Trevor: San Jose, for WWDC17, as a guest of Apple
- Trevor: Byron Bay, with Holden for the launch of the Astra Sedan
- Geoff: Shanghai, for CES Asia, as a guest of CES
- Trevor: Korean, to visit OLED factory as a guest of LG
- Trevor: Las Vegas, for JBL product launch and demonstrations, as a guest of JBL
- Trevor: Shenzen & Beijing: As guest of Huawei visiting production & research facilities
- Trevor: New York: as a guest of Samsung for Unpacked event
- Trevor: Berlin, for IFA 2017, with sponsorship and support from Sony, Samsung & Vodafone
- Chris: Brisbane for the launch of the Nismo 370Z with Nissan Austrlaia
- Trevor: San Jose & Cupertino, for the Apple Event as a guest of Apple
- Chris: Frankfurt, for the Frankfurt Motor Show as a guest of BMW Australia
- Chris: Adelaide for the launch of the Audi A5 Cabriolet with Audi Australia
- October :
- Chris: Adelaide, for the launch of the Volvo XC60 as a guest of Volvo Cars Australia
- Trevor: Melbourne for the launch RMIT’s App development with Swift courses, as a guest of Apple Australia
I intend to publish here on this page a regularly updated list of commercial agreements that I have in place. Given EFTM is my own business, this list refers to commercial arrangements with EFTM as a website, My podcasts or me as an individual.
Advertisers, Sponsors & Commercial Agreements
- Sponsorship & Advertising of Two Blokes Talking Tech Podcast – March 2011 – ongoing
- Advertising on EFTM & Your Tech Life – Q1 2016
- Sponsorship & Advertising of Your Tech Life – June 2011 – ongoing
- Trend Micro
- Sponsorship & Advertising of Your Tech Life plus content Creation- Q2 & Q3 2017
- Advertising on EFTM & Your Tech Life – Q4 2015, Q2 2016, Q4 2016
- Sponsors, 2016 CES Video Diary Series
- Sponsors, 2017 CES Video Diary Series
- Sponsors, 2017 MWC Video Diary Series
- Sponsors, 2017 IFA Berlin Video Diary Series
- Sponsors, 2018 CES Video Diary Series
- Alcatel Mobile
- Sponsors of Your Tech Life Podcast Q3-4 2016, Q1-Q4 2017
- Integrate Expo
- 2016 – Content Partnership, Trevor Long producing content at the event and promoting on EFTM. Advertising on EFTM
- May 2015 – Produce video content at and around Lenovo World 2015
- June 2015 – A-Z of Tech; Write 26 tech tips for publication at EFTM & Officeworks websites; available as Tech Expert for interviews on the topic
- January 2016 – Back to School Tech Tips; Write tech tips for Back To School, for publication at EFTM website and available as “Officeworks Tech Expert” for interviews across media on the topic
- December 2016-February 2017 – Back to School Tech Tips; Write tech tips for Back To School, for publication at EFTM website and available as “Officeworks Tech Expert” for interviews across media on the topic
- May 2017-April 2018 – Trevor Long, Officeworks Tech Spokesperson. Available for media opportunities as and when requested by Officeworks during specific campaigns, producing tech tips for Officeworks campaigns and writing and appearing in content on Officeworks channels.
- September 2015 – Production of Social Video content at Further with Ford conference in Detroit. Content produced for EFTM available for Ford to re-brand or upload to their own channels.
- Trevor Long is an ambassador for Garage Sale Trail, promoting wherever possible the fun and benefits of the national Garage Sale initiative, in particular from a Retro & Used Tech angle – There is no commercial arrangement for this role.
- As a Garage Sale Trail ambassador, Trevor worked under commercial agreement with eBay Australia, and Garage Sale Trail to produce a series of short promotional videos for use on YouTube, eBay and Social Media to promote the use of eBay to value used goods.