As hinted by Toyota recently their Tonka Truck concept vehicle has now been revealed to the public and oh boy, they’ve done a cracker job on this one.
Basically a full size toy for a grown man, the idea here was to take the iconic Tonka Truck brand and mix it with what Toyota calls the “unbreakable” HiLux.
Bold Yellow colours, with large Tonka branding, the truck has extreme features, and what looks like some solid off-road capabilities over and above your average HiLux.
The Tonka HiLux was built to celebrate HiLux being Australia’s best selling car in 2016 and boy do Toyota know how to celebrate.
Product design chief Nicolas Hogios said it was designed to impress both kids and adults
“We have taken Tonka out of the sand pit and reinvented HiLux from top to bottom and from nose to tail,” Mr Hogios said.
“Inspired by the Tonka trucks that kids play with in their backyards, the HiLux Tonka Concept goes way beyond the already hugely capable abilities of HiLux to traverse rocks and other rugged terrain,” he said.
“The HiLux Tonka Concept is dramatic evidence that our local team loves to have fun, we’re keen to explore new ideas and we’re always looking to push the boundaries of what’s possible,” he said.
Toyota took the top of the line SR5 HiLux double cab and increased the ride hight by 15 cm, added a high-riding axle, heavy-duty suspension and 35 inch diameter tyres.
Visually, the new front bar is still compatible with all the standard safety systems, plus there’s a carbon-fibre skin and a very aggressive bulge and air scoops.
An all new tailgate is also wrapped in carbon-fibre and has two air vents on the side to improve air flow.
Here’s how it compares to the standard SR5, and all the features on the Tonka HiLux
|HiLux Tonka Concept||HiLux SR5|
|Final drive ratio||4.05:1||3.909:1|
|Approach angle||35 degrees||31 degrees|
|Departure angle||30 degrees||26 degrees|
|Wheels||17 x 8.5-inch Method NV alloy||18-inch alloy|
|Tyres||35 x 12.5-inch Toyo Open Country M/T-R||265/60 highway|
4WD Portal Axle
• Hub-mounted reduction gearbox supplied by Marks 4WD Adaptors
• Heavy duty springs and adjustable remote reservoir shocks from King Springs
• Steel, airbag compliant, maintains cooling requirements
• Faceted surfacing
• Integrated LED lighting protected by the steel skin
• 6mm alloy with front overriders protect sump and front sub-frame
• Laser cut and TIG welded
• Integrated ventilation slots for cooling engine and front differential
• Carbon-fibre skin is lighter than original steel bonnet
• Front and rear openings for air flow
• Raised centre “power bulge”
• High-performance off-road LED light bar
• Fresh-air cooling ducts for vehicle occupants
• Tubular surfaces protect body and chassis
• Carbon fibre skin
• Two airflow ports
• Integrated spoiler
• Release strap
• Removeable tubular frame
• Diesel fuel cans
• Storage boxes for off-road recovery gear
• Fire extinguisher, axe, shovel and high-lift jack
• Custom yellow called “Sun Fusion”