How to watch & stream the English Premier League in Australia: Our Complete Guide – EFTM
Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 12.05.30 PM

everything you need to know about watching the EPL in Australia

It’s a brave new world, and let’s be honest, this is the future.  Sports rights and other key content we want to watch are now being found on different streaming services and accessible by a whole new bunch of methods than ever before.  But it also comes with a catch – Subscriptions and alliances to companies like Telcos.  So, just how do you watch the English Premier League in Australia?

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 12.05.04 PM

Before you go scouring the internet or asking your mates who probably don’t really know the answer, here’s our top questions about how to watch the EPL and the answers we’ve gathered based on the announcements, our own briefings with Optus and just outright asking the question of Optus.

Why Optus?  Well, in case you’ve been living under a rock – Optus purchased the English Premier League rights recently, and not just mobile streaming – everything.

Is the Premier League only available to Optus Customers?

Simple answer – yes.   You must have an “eligible” Mobile, Mobile Broadband or Home Broadband plan with Optus.

There’s a bit of a fun one there – “eligible” – well, firstly if you have an account you should contact Optus to confirm.  But if you’re looking for a simple way to describe it – it excludes any mobile plan that’s prepaid, or is less than $30 a month on a contract, less than $35 a month SIM Only no contract postpaid.  Also, Home Wireless Broadband customers are not eligible.

What if I don’t have any Optus accounts or services?

Easy – get one.  Sure that sounds flippant, but lets face it, this is why Optus bought the rights in the first place.  They want you to be an Optus customer.  Now if you’re happy with your non-Optus home broadband and mobile plans, then you’re going to need one just for the EPL access.  Of course, if you’re off contract and are willing to switch, you can simply take your mobile number with you and Join Optus, or get Optus Internet at home.  That’s the most cost efficient way to get it, because then you’re not subscribing to an additional service just for the EPL.

The cheapest “add on” plan if you’re not willing to switch your mobile phone or home internet – is the $30 SIM Only 12 month contract, or if you want to narrow it down to just the season, get the $35 per month SIM Only month-to-month plan (no lock in contract).

How much does the EPL cost on top of my Optus Plan?

If by July 31 you are an existing Optus Customer (on eligible plans) – nothing.  The 2016/17 season will be free.  The app is available now, and content has started streaming (highlights and re-runs).

If you don’t sign up before the end of July, you’ll have to pay for the EPL.

Likewise, for the 2017 season (starting in August 2017), the EPL will cost $15 per month for Optus Customers who are paying less than $85 a month for their mobile or home broadband plan.   If you’re spending $85 a month, the EPL will be free for as long as Optus holds the rights to it!

What about my Big-Screen TV at home?

Here’s where Optus have put a fair bit of thought into this.  Sure it’s great to have the EPL on your mobile, but what about the big-screen.

Yes TV by Fetch is the Optus home entertainment centre.  The Fetch TV box will have Optus’ EPL channels streamed via your internet connection.  You’ll be able to pause, rewind and even record EPL games.

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 12.05.30 PM

The new Fetch TV mini box will also be available for just $5 a month for Optus Mobile customers, so for just $5 a month you’ll get a Yes TV by Fetch Mini box, which gives you the EPL channels via your home broadband, as well as all the other Fetch features like Netflix, Stan, Presto, Movie rentals and Free-to-Air TV.  Fetch Mini does not have the capability to record though.

If you have a new generation Apple TV (the one with the fancy new remote), there will be an App for Optus Sport in the App Store allowing you to watch the EPL direct via your internet connection on the big screen.

For people with older generation Apple TV boxes, you will need to use your mobile device or tablet and AirPlay the live stream to your Apple TV.

Can you have more than one Fetch TV box at home?

Nope.  Optus only supply a single Fetch TV box per home.  A bit silly really, given you can go and buy two Apple TV boxes, but that’s the situation right now.

What if I don’t have a great internet connection and live in rural Australia?

There is also an Optus Satellite option available for those who either can’t get broadband with Optus or who don’t have a reliable broadband connection.

Satellite is available for an extra $20/month + $250 installation fee. The Optus satellite service is a dedicated Premier League broadcast channel that will provide all the live Premier League to a STB (different from the Yes TV by Fetch box) that connects to your TV.

This is also the solution Optus is installing for Pubs and Clubs who want the EPL.

Does the Optus satellite service need a broadband connection?

Optus Satellite is not streamed over the internet, so you won’t need a broadband connection. Instead, it will use a satellite to provide the Premier League direct to your home. Optus Satellite is only available if you are on an Optus Premier League eligible plan AND have an Optus Premier League subscription.

It is – for simplicity – Satellite TV.  No Internet involved.

What if I don’t have Optus Broadband at home or can’t get it where I live?

You can watch the EPL on the Fetch TV Mini box with just an Optus mobile account.  However, using it on another network will mean you get charged for the data used when watching EPL games.  This could be anywhere from 500mb to 1GB per hour – so keep that in mind.

Optus Mobile customers can get Fetch Mini for $5 a month so it’s a pretty cost effective smart set-top-box for your home.

When do data charges apply for watching the EPL?

If you are an Optus Mobile and Optus home broadband customer watching at home via your Fetch or on your mobile will not incur data costs.

If you’ve only got one Optus service and not the other, wherever you stream the EPL via another provider it will count against your data allowance for that provider.

So, for example, an Optus home broadband customer, watching the EPL on the Optus Sport app connected to the Vodafone or Telstra networks will incur data usage charges against your data inclusions with Vodafone or Telstra.

Likewise, an Optus Mobile customer who watches the EPL on their home WiFi network either while their phone is on WiFi or using the Fetch TV box connected to their home broadband – that streaming will count against your home broadband data allowance.

Where exactly can I watch the EPL?

There’s the Fetch TV and Fetch TV mini boxes – only those provided by Optus (under the Yes TV by Fetch branding) will have the EPL channels.

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 12.05.15 PM

Then there’s the Apple TV 4th Generation box.

Optus Sport will be a website showing all the live content for your PC or Laptop, and finally, there’s the Optus Sport app for Android and iOS smartphones.

IMG_2517

How many games will be shown Live?

Every single one of the 380 matches will be shown live and uninterrupted by ads during gameplay.

How many games will be available on-demand after they are played.

Strangely, Optus has the rights to hold onto a little under 300 games per year for you to watch on-demand if you miss them.   So if missing a match is a common thing for you, get the Yes TV by Fetch “Mighty” box so you can record all the games yourself!

What content will be shown on the Optus Sport Channel?

As well as all the live games, there are also a bunch of “magazine” shows as well as the pre and post match coverage.  This coverage comes from the EPL itself, they have a bunch of hosts, commentators and experts providing a broad coverage of the sport.

When no games are on, you’ll always find football content on the  Optus Sport channel.  Key programs include a Premier League news show during the working week; Weekend shows including Kick Off, Matchday Live and Fanzone News and Weekday shows including Football Today, Fanzone, News.

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 12.05.24 PM

Football fans can start enjoying Optus Sport from today when you’ll have access to Premier League highlights and re-runs. From 22 July, football fans can watch the International Champions League via Optus Sport. The Premier League season will kick off on 13 August.

Any Australian content or shows on Optus Sport?

None at this stage, though Optus have not ruled out creating something locally in the future.

What about Free to Air TV?

Optus has granted a small amount of rights to SBS who will show a game each week on delay – good for the irregular fan of the game in general, but fans of a particular club and those looking for the live games will need an Optus account.

Will the EPL be on Foxtel?

Easy one.  No!

Though Foxtel have announced they’ve signed deals with several clubs, that content is not live games, or even replay games.  It’s the “club TV” content like Magazine shows or behind the scenes stuff.  Good, but not great right?

Got a question?  Hit the comments below – we’ll get the answer and provide it here for everyone!

Tech

Trevor produces two of the most popular technology podcasts in Australia, Your Tech Life and Two Blokes Talking Tech. He has a weekly radio show on 2UE, as well as appearances across the country and regularly provides Technology Commentary to Channel 9’s Today Show and A Current Affair. Father of three, he is often found down in his Man Cave. Like this post? Buy Trev a drink!
  • Denis Quigly
    6 July 2016 at 2:01 pm

I have an eligible Optus broadband package to get EPL.I have optus cable into my house. I have been told by Optus that I will get EPL for nothing. However, I take Optus/Foxtel package. Question:

Do I have to have have Fetch TV box to receive the EPL. I have been sent one by Optus.

Apart from EPL what is the benefit of Fetch TV?

Denis Quigly
    North Rocks
    04116910565
    [email protected]

13 July 2016 at 10:19 pm

You can watch it on your smartphone, PC or tablet – but for your big screen that Fetch is perfect. It’s also great for recording TV, IPTV channels, Movie Rentals and a whole lot more!!

• ADAM
    6 July 2016 at 10:41 pm

So I am already an Optus customer on an $82 per month post paid mobile plan and have registered for the EPL app etc and have qualified for the free 2016/17 EPL season as it’s before July 31st. Does this mean for only $5 extra per month, I can get fetch mini and hook it up to my big screen TV and watch EPL for no more then $5 extra a month? Or are there extra charges incurred with fetch mini to watch the EPL package?

13 July 2016 at 10:18 pm

Nope, that’s it – spot on

• Rich
    7 July 2016 at 2:04 pm

Or get Kodi?

13 July 2016 at 10:17 pm

If doing things Illegally is your thing. Sure

• Not impressed with Optus
    7 July 2016 at 3:38 pm

Any word on whether the App will be released directly on Smart TV’s, ChromeCast, Xbox One, PS4 etc? I realise they are trying to force us into buying a set top box but that isn’t happening. At the moment the plan is to sign up under an uninterested friends’ Optus mobile plan and then connect the iPad to the TV.

13 July 2016 at 10:17 pm

I believe it will, in time – but I’d stick with the above for best performance

• Concerned
    23 July 2016 at 7:22 pm

Hi,

I am still having trouble understanding, so I have an optus account and I will be recieving the fetch mini box and epl for extra $5 p/month but once its connected to my wifi it uses up my internet data and costs more money. Please confirm?

Also does fetch mini provide all live epl games each week or only some?

24 July 2016 at 9:44 pm

Hi, No, if you are an Optus Broadband user the data will NOT cost money. If you stream via an Optus connection – data is not counted.

ALL EPL games are shown live – all of them

• Leba
    24 July 2016 at 10:48 pm

Hi,

I’m an optus prepaid customer, as explained above I know I’m not eligible. So, how can I watch the EPL next season? I want to watch it on TV – I don’t like the idea of having to watch football on computer or tablet, let alone a phone.

29 July 2016 at 8:26 pm

You need to become an Optus Customer on an eligible plan mate, that simple.

• Michael
    29 July 2016 at 7:08 pm

Hi Trevor
    My dad is eligible for the free epl through his Optus mobile
    We are at different residences

Question,

Can I get him to order the epl and a mini fetch box. And then simply take the fetch box to my residence and plug in and log in through his account?

I’m with Iinet and Telstra but hoping the above will work?

29 July 2016 at 8:24 pm

I’m going to say – YES! The only issue will be the data charges/usage on your Telstra/iiNet.

Certainly worth a try?

• PAUL JENKINS
    3 August 2016 at 8:53 pm

This is the worst decision i have ever seen or heard of. I am from the UK and have followed the game for 30 years, the unit i live in is specifically connected ONLY to IINET, as such, i am unable to get Optus (which i refuse to subscribe to anyway). This is the start of losing touch the with the game i love. Well done Optus for screwing over the REAL fans. Absolutely CLUELESS

• Geoff
    8 August 2016 at 8:15 pm

Trevor I arranged an Optus phone plan in order to get the EPL before the EPL $15 started. I was then told if I wanted to record I would need a fetch Mighty which I went out and purchased. Now I am being told the Mighty will only work if I have an Optus fixed internet service. Have I wasted $400 or is there a way I can use the Mini they have sent me to watch and record on the Mighty I bought from Harvey Norman? Has the Optus guy in the shop sent me down the garden path and got a mobile service off me and I now need a fixed internet to be able to use the Mighty and record?

8 August 2016 at 8:17 pm

You sir, are down the garden path.

MAYBE… I think its worth checking, but I think the Mighty will only receive the EPL Channels for Optus broadband customers – sorry mate, i don’t think its going to be good news.

• Geoff
    9 August 2016 at 8:49 am

So there is no way to record the EPL and watch it a couple of hours later other than have an OPTUS broadband subscription combined with a Mighty? Sorry if I am a little technically unsure here as that is all I want to do, watch the EPL at 5am rather than 1am and was prepared to pay a small cost for that but cancelling current emails and internet provider etc is just not that feasible.

Thanks

• aLEX
    10 August 2016 at 4:16 pm
  • Adrian
    13 August 2016 at 3:05 am

If I sign up to an optus plan and get the epl package couldn’t I just watch it on my laptop and plug it into my tv via HDMI instead of paying the extra $5 a month for fetch?

• Craig
    15 August 2016 at 6:14 pm

I have an $85 a month mobile plan with free epl.
    I have home broadband with another carrier.
    If I get fetch mini which data would it use mobile or broadband?
    Will it only cost $5 a month for the mini?

• Robyn Chipper
    17 August 2016 at 11:01 pm

Hi Trevor,
    So the bottom line is if we want the same picture and delivery of EPL games that we can watch in our own time…just like we did before….we cannot. We have to have a fixed optus home line and/or broadband..to get the best Optus can offer..however, it is still a service delivered through the internet,not satellite.
    For each option listed, there is a problem
    1:The TIME difference..We EPL fans live in Australia and are not accustomed to getting up at 1:30am in the morning to watch our beloved game live..
    IN Australia, we all record the game and watch it at a suitable local time..
    2: NO RECORDING ..it’s sadly not possible with with mini fetch tv, or our iphones, or ipads and laptops , or even Apple TV devices.
    As we are diehard fans, and my grandfather actually played for EPL… we got up and watched the live game.this last weekend…Well …we missed half the game due to frequent picture and /or voice loss.
    3:NO INTERNET CONNECTION, not available in many areas, even inner cities, as Optus do not own the lines and cannot provide everybody with a service.
    My grandfather played EPL , so as diehard football fans, we did get up to watch the game in the middle of the night, and experienced the quality of things to come.
    4:POOR RECEPTION through the internet… constantly ” buffers”… you know what I mean… at crucial play in the first game …weekend of the 13-14 August , the TV just went blank! several times. … took 10 – 20 minutes to get back on line …you get the picture. I’d laugh at my own pun if it was not so serious…..we are in the age of technology, and I wonder if perhaps have we gone backwards by about 20 years.??..remember the days before foxtel when we wrestled with giant dishes on our roof and got someone in the family to hang off the roof clutching the antennae at precarious angles….yes …Sadly many of us are back to those days..
    5:COST … the lovely inaudible Optus representative said to many “no problem madame…just cancel your internet provider and come over to us.””.”after you have paid their termination fee!!”This can amount to a few thousand dollars, so not a viable proposition..We are all happy to pay, just as we did before, from about $50 monthly up, though given we also received about a minimum of 35 other tv channels . We still have to pay at least that if we want to keep those tv channels…PLUS remember theOPTUS EPL fee will come…It may be free this year for some but not in 2017…Plus the added expense if we choose to terminate our current provider, but beware there is no guarantee from OPTUS that they will actually have a line available when the 10 working days are up .

NOW on top of all these issues….I want you to know I was with Optus,until October last year…. I had an Optus home phone line and broadband and was actually happy with the deal, very actually… I temporarily moved my plan and phone line to my mother’s home while I looked after my then very ill mother …When she recovered, I moved back to Bicton, an old established area, where i originally had the contract. They promised me a connection in ten working days…. and on the morning of the tenth working day OPTUS sent me a text and a letter, stating they could not give me an OPTUS service in BIcton, as their were no ports.( There was an active phone line, that Optus had not disconnected!) I was in the 8th month of my contract with Optus. Optus advised me to go with Telstra,….. As telstra owned the phone lines!!!!Optus then CANCELLED MY LOVELY CONTRACT…I had to wait another 10 business days for connection with the only company that could give me a service.I am still contracted to that company……and bear in mind that while optus would not give me a phone line and broadband, they would not waitlist me either..I remember crying.”but surely you have people moving or leaving earth all the time”…Not according to OPTUS.. .. did I forget to mention Optus then sent me a bill for $800… for them terminating my contract..I had to go to the telecommunications ombudsman for that problem….
    So where was I?
    Oh yes OPTUS then won the rights to the EPL GAMES….so where did that leave me and my beloved football?…I personally visited an Optus shop and told the manager my woes..he suggested I go out and buy a fetch box from Harvey Normans… so I did… $400 later …………and yes I read your very kind caring comment Trevor to Aidan….
    However, like a champion to the game, I was not to be kicked when I was down and out…I went out and bought an Apple TV. device…and you now know how well that works …
    Good on ya OPTUS…..you have won the rights to EPL ,whereby 100% of fans who used to watch a 100% picture perfect soccer game in the comfort of their own homes in their own time…now the percentage has dropped to ?…
    ………:well given all the places in Australia that OPTUS cannot service?………………………………………………………..and will miss the game
    ………………given all the fans who are locked into other internet service provider contracts.?……………………………and will miss the game
    ………………given all the fans who do not have a mobile, let alone a smart phone?………………………………………….and will miss the game
    ………………given all the poor fans who bought a mini fetch box only to discover they cannot record the game? (and will miss the game.)
    ………………given all the fans who are locked into a foxtel contract………………………………………………………………and will miss the game
    ………………given all the fans who bought a fetch tv from someone else?……………………………………………………..and will miss the game
    ……………..given all the fans , (even the Optus fetch tv customers) all now relying on internet ,historically unreliable…..will be faced with hit and miss reception..
    I ask how have OPTUS won such a contract which simply cannot deliver the same quaiity satellite service? ..to over a HUGE % of Australian fans.How has this contract been allowed to happen?.All that money that the football players get……. perhaps a certain percentage needs to go to a regulatory body to ensure fair viewing for all…..and are there no regulations to ensure most of the EPL fans can actually watch the game? I am guessing if we are unable to watch the game….eventually that has to affect the sport in its hip financial pocket .

• Mick
    22 August 2016 at 1:23 pm

Hi Robyn, Thanks for the heads up. Are there streaming sites anyone can recommend? I realise I may need to join a VPN to get access to overseas sites. It worries me though, Re security.
    Some streaming sites broadcast many football leagues- which I feel is an advantage over Optus.
    looking for ideas?
    Help Mick

• [email protected]
    23 August 2016 at 11:12 pm

We are already subscribing to Optus we were led to believe that if we purchased the Fetch Mighty and the Fetch Mini the Optus Sports Channel and Optus Sports app would be provided we waited patiently until the Saturday of the new EPL season and it did not appear surely the dealers Harvey Norman and JBHIFI should refund our purchase price as the advertising did say The English Premier League on Fetch TV.