How to get 9HD on your TV and Foxtel – a retune and new channel numbers

instructions on the retune

If you didn’t know already you’ve probably been living under a rock – Channel 9 is launching two new channels 9HD and 9Life and we’ve got the details of how to get them on your TV and where to find them on your Foxtel box.

Sports fans have been calling for our main free-to-air channels to broadcast in High Definition for years, tomorrow Channel 9 takes the jump and joins SBS in simulcasting its main TV channel in both Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD).

Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 9.57.03 PM

The new channels become available from 5am on Thursday but you’re going to need to do a few things or go searching to find it – we’ve got all the details.

Free-to-Air

For those who do not have Foxtel (that’s 70% of Aussie homes), you’ve got a Digital TV and you might have a set-top box alongside it.

Either or both (The TV and the Set-top-box) will need to be retuned.

You jump into the TV menu by pressing the Menu button on your remote control. Look for the option to Setup, and then Auto-Tune.  Now for some TVs the options might not be exactly that, but if you go digging for configuration, setup, channel search and tuning, you should find the spot.

Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 9.56.57 PM

Once you initiate a full auto tune your TV will spend 4-5 minutes scanning the airwaves for all the available channels.

After the retune, the Nine Network stations will be found on these numbers:

• 9 – Channel 9 (SD)
  • 90 – 9HD
  • 91 – Channel 9
  • 92 – 9Gem
  • 93 – 9Go!
  • 94 – 9Life
  • 95 – Extra

That didn’t work?

So you’ve done a full retune, and you can’t see channel 90, or if you turn onto channel 90 you only get pictures no audio?

In this case you’ve got a TV that is either not compatible with the broadcast technology being used, or will require an upgrade.

If you see nothing, it’s likely your TV can’t receive MPEG-4.  This is the new compression technology that allows Channel 9 to fit the new HD channel in along with an all new channel (9 Life).

You will need to speak to the manufacturer of your TV to find out more, but online research should help you find out.

In the case that you’re getting pictures but no audio, visit the TV manufacturer’s website and look for options to download a firmware upgrade which might just solve your problem.

Foxtel

So you’ve got Foxtel. You currently get Channel 9 on channel number 100, GemHD on channel 209 and Go! on channel 139.

That’s if you’ve got Cable.  If you have Satellite then you’ll only be getting Channel 9 on number 100.

From tomorrow, for Cable subscribers to Foxtel, EFTM understands the channels will be as follows:

• 100 – Channel 9 (SD)
  • 139 – 9Go! (SD)
  • 192 – 9Gem (SD)
  • 194 – 9Life (SD)
  • 209 – Channel 9 (HD)

You shouldn’t need to do anything to get the new channels.

Foxtel Satellite customers – don’t hold your breath.  The cost of sending a new channel up into space and back isn’t cheap.  So I doubt there will be much change on that front soon.

Remember, even though you’re paying for Foxtel, you can always switch back to your TV and antenna to receive all of the around 20 free-to-air channels and watch them all.  Then when you want Foxtel channels switch back to your HDMI input!

If you have any questions or issues, comment below I’ll try to help out, or you can call Channel 9 on 1800 173 055

Tech

Trevor produces two of the most popular technology podcasts in Australia, Your Tech Life and Two Blokes Talking Tech. He has a weekly radio show on 2UE, as well as appearances across the country and regularly provides Technology Commentary to Channel 9’s Today Show and A Current Affair. Father of three, he is often found down in his Man Cave. Like this post? Buy Trev a drink!
  • Rob
    25 November 2015 at 11:30 pm

I get FOXTEL by satellite and get WIN on 100, GEM on 209. I guess I’ll be watching the cricket in SD still.

• lucky
    26 November 2015 at 10:05 am

I’m in country SA with a 3D smart TV a couple years old and i can’t pick up signal for any of the new channels so i guess its SD for me aswell

26 November 2015 at 4:52 pm

🙁 Only Metro areas.

• lucky
    26 November 2015 at 10:19 am

Turns out 9 HD won’t be available for Southern Cross Viewers in South Australia thanks for getting our hopes up Channel 9

26 November 2015 at 4:51 pm

Yes, no luck unfortunately:(

• Ben
        26 November 2015 at 7:46 pm

Trevor, please tell your contacts at channel 9 to pony up for 9HD on Foxtel!

27 November 2015 at 9:41 am

I gotta say – why bother? It’s available to all homes in their broadcast area FREE TO AIR – so – just tune your TV!!

• Roger Mills
      14 March 2016 at 12:00 pm

Fixed my problem, after trying everything, even downloading mpeg4 app, nothing worked so I ended up buying a new set top box from JH-FI for $59, Topfield TBF200HD, get everything now, cheap fix, cheers

• Wes
    26 November 2015 at 11:45 am

How do I get 90 HD on my Foxtel IQ through my HD projector??

it’s not showing as available on Fox??

26 November 2015 at 4:51 pm

Do you have the Foxtel HD Pack? (Extra cost)

• Ben
      26 November 2015 at 7:44 pm

“Foxtel Satellite customers – don’t hold your breath. The cost of sending a new channel up into space and back isn’t cheap. So I doubt there will be much change on that front soon.”

• Marlene Smith
    26 November 2015 at 1:09 pm

I get Foxtel satellite but don’t get 9 on Foxtel at all but do get it FTA.Can I retune FTA without upsetting Foxtel

26 November 2015 at 4:50 pm

Completely unrelated – retune away!

• Susan Jones
    26 November 2015 at 2:08 pm

We are in wide Bay Area QLD, retuned our TV twice today still no 9 HD, is win not broadcasting it?

26 November 2015 at 4:47 pm

I’d suggest you receive a regional signal, so at this stage this is only Metro.

• Brian
    26 November 2015 at 3:51 pm

You don’t mention that it is not available in regional areas.

26 November 2015 at 4:46 pm

No, I didn’t – because I am referring to Channel 9, not WIN or NBN. But for clarity, unfortunately these changes only apply to Metro cities at the moment.

• Roger
    26 November 2015 at 7:43 pm

If you have Panasonic TV that’s between 2 to 6 years old this worked for me today on 4 Panasonic TVs that are in the time frame above.
    IF a rescan did not find (90) 9HD. Do this…..
    From there follow the prompts and read the warning messages. This function will delete all previous stored channels & favorites lists. You will be promoted to turn off the mains power which I did using the power button on the side. When the power is turned back on you will be prompted to start a rescan. When the scan was finished (90) 9HD was now present & visable. Note. After using this the option in the setup menu it is now gone.This is normal.
    You will now need to setup your favorites lists skip channels you dont want and reorder the channels to you preference. Hope this helps someone.

• Helen
      27 November 2015 at 11:51 pm

Thank you so much Roger, this method worked for my Panasonic TV.

• tom
      9 December 2015 at 1:21 pm

Thanks Roger. That worked fine. Got 90 and 78 which I could notbget with Norma! Auto tuning

• Helen H
      10 April 2017 at 10:15 pm

Thanks just retuned my 9.5 year Panasonic and got life etc
      Very happy
      Helen H

• Godfrey Sutton
    26 November 2015 at 9:14 pm

Retuned and can only get audio, any suggestions

27 November 2015 at 9:42 am

There are a few suggestions on this page now, check the menu, but also consult the website of the manufacturer for possible firmware upgrades.. otherwise, your TV is just not compatible I’m sorry

• Steve
    26 November 2015 at 9:46 pm

I have retuned my TV but now can’t move from Channel 90. I have had a similar problem with any of the channel 7 stations for a while. I believe it is because I have had my TV for a number of years. Any body else suffer the same fate?

• Janice Flamer-Caldera
    26 November 2015 at 9:47 pm

I have Foxtel on cable but those new channels are not showing up on my list of channels.

27 November 2015 at 9:40 am

Might be worth a full reset – so turn it off at the wall, wait a minute then power it back on.

TL

• Janice Flamer-Caldera
        27 November 2015 at 2:20 pm

I tried turning off at the power, waited a minute but i’m still getting the UNAVAILABLE message when I try looking for channel 192, 194 aqnd 209

• Lee
    27 November 2015 at 8:46 am

do you need to have a HDMI cable plugged in? at present i have a foxtel box and don’t use hdmi. If so does it plug into the foxtel box or do i need to buy a cheap set top box? i don’t get normal tv channels unless i disconnect from foxtel and use the ariel plug in.

27 November 2015 at 9:36 am

Yes, you switch away from Foxtel (which would be on your AV1 or HDMI) back to aerial and then that’s where you do a re-scan/retune.

• Elizabeth White
    27 November 2015 at 12:41 pm

When I found auto tune the message said All digital TV data will be erased Do I go ahead?
    I have called the 1800 number but my call has not been returned

27 November 2015 at 1:42 pm

Yes, it will remove existing channels and replace with all the new ones – hit go! 🙂

• Wayne
    27 November 2015 at 1:36 pm

Retuned TV (Panasonic) and got 9HD on channel 90 with sound but no picture. I am able to receive both SBS and channel 7 on HD.

27 November 2015 at 1:42 pm

9HD uses a different broadcast technology to SBS, 7Mate, ABCNews and One. Called MPEG-4.

earlier commenter Roger suggests this for Panasonic TV: Press Menu then Setup and scroll down to ‘Digital TV Tuning Menu’ and select. On this menu scroll down to ‘Add MPEG-4 AVC Channels’ & select.

• Sean Zappulla
      7 December 2015 at 12:18 am

The new digital TV standed is DVB-T2 with MPEG 4

• Kate Lion
    27 November 2015 at 2:23 pm

Hi tks for the info. I’ve got a Soniq 32″ (Melbourne) that is compatible, did a retune (only given the option to retune via ‘TV” on the menu… is that right?) all new channels working except Gem. When I press 92 it just goes to 9HD.
    Any ideas please?

27 November 2015 at 2:51 pm

I’d try a factory reset in that case – TV is likely confused by the old and new stuff.

• Kate Lion
        27 November 2015 at 5:16 pm

Tks, I hadn’t realized it was necessary to retune the PVR which my TV runs off and now I’ve done it all is fantastic.

• Ivan Colgan
    27 November 2015 at 3:39 pm

I think it’s a disgrace to leave out regional area’s, don’t we count?.

27 November 2015 at 4:09 pm

Hey Ivan, disappointing that’s true, but remember that Channel 9 don’t own any regional stations – they only own stations in Metro areas – the regional stations themselves would have to make these decisions…

• Ray
    27 November 2015 at 3:47 pm

Hi, very disappointed that nowhere has channel 9 stated anything about mp4, i have a 3yr old vivid full HD TV, no pic and no sound as well as a 2yr old Hitachi and its the same.
    Why is it that this the only HD channel that’s using mp4, is it the cheapest option for channel 9.
    Seriously not happy with channel 9, my nett result is as follows,
    1 I’ve gained 1 new sd channel (life).
    2 I’ve lost 1 HD channel ( gem)
    Before the change over, the HD 90 Gem channel worked perfect and you go and stuff it all up.
    Not one household I know can get it either !!!!

• Quentin
    27 November 2015 at 3:48 pm

I cannot get it on my brand 4K Samsung no matter how many times l retune my TV. Is this because l have an indoor digital antenna?

27 November 2015 at 4:07 pm

Were you getting Free-to-air before? if so, shouldn’t be a change, but if not, yet you will need a good antenna

• Rajeev Shrestha
    27 November 2015 at 4:24 pm

i have lg smart 3d tv…i have done the scan but cant get hd or 9life…

27 November 2015 at 5:07 pm

How old is it? 9Life shouldn’t be an issue at all.

I’d suggest a FACTORY RESET at this time.

• julian
    27 November 2015 at 7:17 pm

have sound no pic thanks 9

27 November 2015 at 8:42 pm

Bummer, COULD be a firmware upgrade – so check with the manufacturer if there is a firmware upgrade, otherwise – no go sorry!

• julian
    27 November 2015 at 7:20 pm

comes up invalid fornat

27 November 2015 at 8:41 pm

Incompatible with MPEG-4 – so perhaps a firmware update from the manufacturer? Or no luck, new TV!

• Maryann
    27 November 2015 at 7:22 pm

I have a Sony Bravia TV KDL-40X2000. I’ve done a retune and only get Channel 90 as radio. Does this mean I won’t be able to get Channel 9 in high definition now?

27 November 2015 at 8:40 pm

That’s about a 7 year old TV isn’t it – so yeah, won’t be MPEG-4 compatible I’d suggest. So no go.

• Maryann
        27 November 2015 at 9:31 pm

Thanks for your reply. We live in such a disposable society today don’t we? Well we won’t be disposing of a perfectly good TV and outlaying lots of money just to get those channels.

• Rob
          28 November 2015 at 2:21 am

Hey Maryann, I have a Sony Bravia KS70R200 that’s now many years old [I rebuilt the ‘yellow blob’ optical block myself]
          I use a PC with windows 8.1 with windows media centre and a pci-e dvb-t tuner card [Terratec Cinergy], so I’ll never be ‘out-of-date’ , the tv is only used as a monitor.
          I decided to trash all existing channels as the list was getting a bit tatty anyway and re-scan the entire spectrum, everything works a treat ch 9 included! 🙂

• Maryann
            29 November 2015 at 7:43 pm

Thanks for your suggestion Rob. Sounds a bit high-tech for me. I’m not a dinosaur but I’m not really very tech savvy. Glad you’ve worked out an option that works for you. I don’t want to put a perfectly good TV in the dump and then fork out lots of money for a new set.
            I’ll talk to my tech guy.

• Lawrie Davidson
    27 November 2015 at 8:50 pm

We have two Panasonic LCD TV sets from a few years ago. Both were quite happy to receive HD from the various providers, including GEM. These apparently cannot decode the MPEG4 now transmitted by Nine. As usual the big boys in town are requiring us to spend money to get something that is described as “free to air”!

27 November 2015 at 9:24 pm

If they are from recent years, check the settings to see if you can enable MPEG-4 and or look for a firmware upgrade.

I think its harsh to suggest they “want” you to spend money – in reality they have kept the content available by simulcast on Channel 9. This compression technology is the only way they could “fit” a new channel, and in the future when everyone can view MPEG-4 we’ll be able to get MORE HD channels and more channels generally!

• Simon Yeo (@simonyeo)
    28 November 2015 at 12:15 am

I thought I was being clever by resisting the urge to get a flat screen TV when they entered the market, instead I waited until they had digital HD tuners built in, that way I didn’t need a set-top-box. I paid big bucks in 2007 for a Full-HD 40in Sony, one of the first with a built-in tuner, it’s only now that I’ve realised my TV doesn’t have any avenue for its firmware to be upgraded, which means I wont be watching any MPEG-4 channels.

It was only your original article that alerted me to the new MPEG-4 compression encoding, you don’t hear Channel Nine mentioning it. I bet they are getting lots of calls to their support line from people who find out its not as easy as the promo would have you believe if you have an older telly.

28 November 2015 at 9:33 pm

Which (in my view) is why they are running the Channel 9 SD simulcast still – otherwise you wouldn’t be able to watch the cricket at all!!

• Darfvader
    28 November 2015 at 1:00 am

How to watch SBS HD…….Retune TV
    How to watch One HD…….Retune TV
    How to watch Nine HD…….Retune TV…..Put TV on Nature Strip….Go Buy a new TV -___-

• Pamela Young
    28 November 2015 at 10:27 am

HI Am trying to retune my friends LG and can only get 7 chanels to come through after retune is finished What can I do she cannot get 10 or 2 and will kill me if I cant fix it.

28 November 2015 at 9:31 pm

Antenna issues – need to get your antenna fixed/checked – also consider getting a Filter for the Antenna line

• Adrian
    28 November 2015 at 1:16 pm

Read all the comments above. All in all, they were helpful. I now understand that because I have a 2007 Panasonic, I won’t be getting Channel 90 as the set is not MPEG-4 compatible. Strange part was that I had Channel 90 for a while – sound only – until I re-tuned it and it disappeared!

28 November 2015 at 9:31 pm

Yeah, a bummer – sound is coming down separate to video – so your TV can decode the sound, not the picture.

Check there isn’t a firmware upgrade mate

• Adrian
        28 November 2015 at 9:35 pm

I tried the update option – no go. I think it is purely the fact that our TV is a 2007 model and it doesn’t have the “necessaries” in it. Maybe Channel 9 might one day do something about it for us dinousaurs, but I won’t hold my breath waiting.
        Thansk for your page.

• Mick
    29 November 2015 at 1:16 pm

I live in a regional area and cannot get 9HD… bummer that I have to watch all the promos for all the new channels though! I don’t think it should be promoted in areas that cannot receive the new channels!

• Roger Mills
    29 November 2015 at 2:31 pm

Help, sound but no picture on a full 2 years old HD Soniq L42v11A-au, reset everything, factory default, re formatted PVR, tried all suggestions on this page, cheers Roger

30 November 2015 at 2:00 am

Likely your TV doesn’t support MPEG-4 – visit the Soniq website and seek a firmware upgrade or clarification.

• MrJustastic
    29 November 2015 at 10:17 pm

I can view the racing channel, so pretty sure I can support MPEG4 as a test, but after a re-tune I have lost ALL the channel 9 channels. i.e. 9, 90, 91, 92 … 99. All other channels are fine.. (Perth, KDL-70R550A)

30 November 2015 at 1:59 am

Try a factory reset.

• David
    29 November 2015 at 11:33 pm

All I can get is sound and a black screen with a invalid format notification going around the screen so thanks for getting my hopes up channel 9. Channel 9 is all poop.

• David
    29 November 2015 at 11:38 pm

When it’s available AUSTRALIA wide then you’ll have something to boast about, not everyone lives in a city, so thanks once again for leaving country folk in the dark ages

• Marcel
    2 December 2015 at 10:09 pm

Not all Panasonic TVs or DVD players allow you to update MPEG4 Viera TH-42PX7A & DMR-XW480 DVD For example

• Darren McCourt
    2 December 2015 at 11:04 pm

Hello Trevor, why can`t we get 9HD and 9 Life in Port Pirie, to my understanding what I read on the internet is that GTS7 and GTS 10 is both owned by Southern Cross Television and channel nine is owned by 9SA so why can`t we get the 2 new channels, it was quick for channel GTS 7 to add the new crappy horse racing channel (racing.com) to the channel line up which is on Foxtel anyway so who really cares about that channel watching stupid horses run around a track. Regional viewers are always treated like second class citizens when all new channel line ups should be made simultaneously. We should have got channel 9 for false advertising on the first day of the cricket when it had on the top right corner of the screen available in HD on channel 90.
    A very pi**ed off viewer.

• Sean Zappulla
    7 December 2015 at 12:58 am

I have been reading tonight this is stage 2 for digital TV since analog TV has been switched off. All the TV stations are going to DVB-T2 with MPEG 4. This has been in the plans since 2010 so they can have more digital channels. They were saying that the old DVB-T with MPEG 2 is about 15 years old. This will happen Australia wide. Foxtel uses the DVB-C2 for cable DVB-S2 for satillitte with MPEG 4 for all there HD channels for years. Vast uses DVB-S2 with MPEG 4 with free to air satillitte TV in remote areas. A lot of countries are moving to DVB-T2 with MPEG 4 like Australia.

• tom
    9 December 2015 at 1:18 pm

I could not get Chanel 90 or 78 on my Panasonic TV. I followed Rogers suggestions above and it worked fine. Thanks Roger

• Warren Black
    20 December 2015 at 3:52 am

Channel 9 does own a regional station. NBN. WIN is the one it doesn’t own.

• Mike
    22 December 2015 at 6:25 pm

Just found channel 9 on channels 351 and 354 on my Panasonic Viera TV after a frustrating attempt to retune.

• Vic Symons
    28 December 2015 at 11:42 am

Thanks Roger. Worked a treat.

• Brian
    30 December 2015 at 5:54 pm

Have just wasted half a day playing around with my aerial trying to get the new 9HD channel. Have only just found this blog. Why did not channel 9 mention in their advertising, it was new technology and a lot of TVs would not work ? They would have known. They have been very successful in causing lots of problems for free TV viewers who do not watch cricket as well.

• Phillip Darko
    30 January 2016 at 10:51 am

Why can’t we get these new channels in Tassie??

31 January 2016 at 6:12 pm

Where in Tassy?

• Phillip Darko
        1 February 2016 at 9:35 am

In Hobart Trevor, If you look at the stations available in Tas these channels are not included,mainland only..

• patrick
        2 March 2016 at 7:54 am

hi im in townsville qld i have had both the channel 9 and the new 9hd and life for 2 days …..now i have lost all the channels 9 normal 9hd gem go and life ….im dont really care about this new channel 9hd or life…..but what has happened to the normal 9 channel and gem and go….i have scanned my tv 10 times it wont pick these channels up…..every other channel is good and even have the racing.com channel ….anyone can help me please and thankyou

• Sue
    3 March 2016 at 6:55 am

Just GREAT,,,, My 2 TVs in the house don’t even pick up channel 9 now that its been scanned. you people must think we’re all made of money and can just go out and buy a compatible TV. I don’t want the life or whatever the other new channel is, the original ones were fine the way they were. looks like another lost 9 viewer.

• Daryl
    3 March 2016 at 8:49 pm

I am in Rockhampton and I have WIN supplying these TV signals. I get my signal on channel 8 375.500MHz. I can get the WINHD channel but GEM does not display in widescreen it is condensed i.e. black bands on either side. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

• Lynn scully
    11 March 2016 at 7:10 pm

Can’t get any Chanel 9 programs now for south coast. My TV saying ” not supported’ so looks like ABC, SBS or 7 from now on. Great move Chanel 9

• SunriseBoy
    16 March 2016 at 6:57 pm

What a load of juvenile crapola!!!
    The smart-arses at the channels have really out-smarted themselves and dudded us. It’s all about them!

Most of us oldies have now had to give up all of those three channels because of these smart-arses.

• Sam Fonte
    4 April 2016 at 12:22 am

hi there, i have to keep re-tuning my tv to get the new 9HD channels. they stay for a while then start breaking up, both the picture and the sound. eventually they just go to blue screen and say: NO Signal. I’ve tried various re-tune methods, including ‘reset’ and ‘first time (clean) install’. i’m not sure if i’m meant to tune/search the ATV + DTV search setting or just the DTV setting? there is also and option to do search/re-tune in AVT. i’ve tried them all. sometimes i lose channel 2 as well as channel 21 and 22. my tv is a Medion brand. product name on warranty card says: Full HD Direct LED LCD TV. it’s a flat screen, just a couple of years old. i don’t have a set top box, it wasn’t necessary when purchased this tv. one thing i’ve noticed is a ‘frequency setting’ but i haven’t changed it at all. i don’t have cable or Foxtel satellite, just free to air tv. your help appreciated. cheers!

• Scott
    13 May 2016 at 5:13 pm

I’ve got every Chanel but the new life style one has no pictures but has sound how do I fix it

• Sam Fonte
    13 May 2016 at 10:06 pm

yeah .. agree with you Sunrise Boy.. i feel ripped off! the contact i was having with Medion (tv brand) fizzled. there is no way to call them and the emails stopped coming.. maybe because i don’t have proof of purchase but still… maybe the tv manufacturers didn’t see this coming ? and now have loads of ‘buyers’ now complaining their tv won’t tune into new channels? i think in the end it’s going to come down to buying a new tv.. which really really sux as mine is only 3 yrs old! hmmnn… not happy.