Apple CarPlay is one of the products or features promised by Apple that has taken the longest to deliver to market, in part because of the complexity and long lead time car makers go-through for new models, and perhaps additionally due to the stringent specifications Apple place on CarPlay included manufacturers.
The All-new Hyundai Tucson is one of the first cars to hit the Australian market withApple CarPlay factory fitted and the most exciting part about it is the price.
You’ll be able to pick up a Tucson from Hyundai from $27,990 and that comes withApple CarPlay – perhaps more interesting or confusing to me, the higher spec Elite and Highlander variants which range up to $45,490 are not available with CarPlay. That’s strange!
I suspect that’s because the infotainment system in those higher specced models is a larger screen, and while CarPlay would work, Hyundai may have put all their focus on the 7 inch model which will be the bulk seller.
The new Tucson launches on August 1, howeverApple CarPlay functionality won’t be active until September (likely via a software upgrade). This timing delay makes me think there’s a similar Apple Certification delay to that which I experience for months when Pioneer were first bringing CarPlay to market.
While CarPlay is the headline, there’s something else. Android Auto. Confirmed by Hyundai for “early 2016”, a software upgrade will allow Android users to have the similar smartphone connected capabilities CarPlay offers and that’s great news. Hyundai had a big focus on Android Auto andApple CarPlay at CES this year so none of this is a surprise.
Leaving the tech aside, the new Tucson is a medium-sized SUV with great new looks, refinement and capabilities.
The vehicle has been exhaustively tested and refined for Australian conditions to offer solid dynamics on the road.
Coming in to replace the ix35, the Tucson at these prices should do very well.
|2.0 MPi 2WD||6 Speed Manual||$27,990||–||–||–|
|6 Speed Auto||$30,490||–||$35,240||–|
|2.0 GDi 2WD||6 Speed Manual||–||$30,490||–||–|
|6 Speed Auto||–||$32,990||–||–|
|1.6 T-GDi AWD||7 Speed DCT||–||–||$38,240||$43,490|
|2.0 CRDi AWD||6 Speed Auto||–||–||$40,240||$45,490|
* All prices are Manufacturer’s List Price. Price excludes dealer delivery and on road costs.
HYUNDAI TUCSON SPECIFICATION OVERVIEW:
- Specifications to be confirmed closer to Active variant on-sale date in early 4th quarter 2015
ActiveX (key specifications above Active variant):
- 18” alloy wheels with 225/55R18 tyres
- 6 airbags (driver & front passenger, driver & front passenger side (thorax), full length curtains)
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Rear view camera with dynamic guidelines
- Rear parking assist system (4 sensors) with guidance
- LED Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
- Projector beam headlamps with escort and welcome function
- Automatic dusk sensing headlamps
- Front Fog Lamps
- Leather appointed* seats
- Premium steering wheel & gear knob
- 7” touchscreen audio w/ MP3 capability, 6 speakers, & works withApple CarPlay (September) & Android Auto (early 2016)
- Steering wheel mounted audio controls
- Electric folding / heated side mirrors
- Cruise control with steering wheel mounted controls
- Roof Rails
Elite (key specifications above Active variant):
- 17” alloy wheels with 225/60R17 tyres
- Trailer Stability Assist (TSA)
- LED headlamps with static bending lamps
- Electrically adjusted driver’s seat (10 way incl. lumbar)
- Electronic Park-Brake (EPB) with Auto Hold function
- Dual zone climate control air conditioning with auto defog function
- Proximity smart key with push button start
- 8” touchscreen satellite navigation with 3 year map update plan
- Smart Tailgate function (hands-free power tailgate)
- Rain sensing wipers
- Solar glass with Privacy
- LED side repeater integrated into side mirrors
- Steering wheel mounted phone controls
Key specifications below ActiveX:
- Cloth seats instead of Leather appointed* seats
- 17” alloy wheels instead of 18” alloy wheels
- No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto capability
- No Matte grey effect insert on side garnish
Premium (key specifications above Elite variant):
- 19” alloy wheels with 245/45R19 with Continental ContiSportContact5
- Front parking assist system (4 sensors) with guidance
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) High line system
- LED tail lamps with bulb turn signal & reverse lights
- Electrically adjusted front passenger’s seat (6 way incl. lumbar)
- Leather appointed* seats
- Heated & air ventilated front seats
- Panoramic glass sunroof
- Blind Spot Detection (BSD) incorporating Lane Change Assist (LCA)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) with Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Twin tip trapezoidal exhaust
- 2” TFT LCD colour display in Supervision cluster
Stay tuned to EFTM for a full review of the all-new Hyundai Tucson.