Android, I’m leaving you – and here’s why – EFTM

Android, I’m leaving you – and here’s why

HTC ONE (M8)

Every time a new smartphone comes out, I’m lucky enough to get to try it out.  Since moving from Blackberry to iPhone some years ago the iPhone was my main device, and while each and every year several devices tempt me away, I always found myself quickly going back to the iPhone.  This year was different.

Over 3 months ago now the Samsung Galaxy S5 and HTC One (M8) were launched.  Having looked closely at the Android ecosystem in the months prior, I was pretty confident I could live with Android without losing out on any of my favourite apps.

This year, for perhaps the first time – everything on my iPhone that I used day-to-day, was available on Android.

I even moved my music library into the Google Play Music app so I could be platform agnostic (it works on iPhone also).

With two flagship phones at my disposal, I got rid of the iPhone.  I didn’t keep it in a drawer to tempt me, I got rid of it.

SAMSUNG CSC

Over the last three months I’ve happily travelled around the world and gone about my normal business using devices like the Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC One (M8), Sony Xperia Z2 and Z1 compact, and the Moto X from Motorola.

I learned that I prefer the smaller phones – the Z1 compact and Moto X are perfect.  Bigger phones have great screens but are clunky to use at times – but that’s a very personal thing.

This week though, I’m going back.  Back to iPhone.

What I’ll miss about Android

Screenshot_2014-07-15-10-36-40

Customisation – I’ve been using the Yahoo Aviate “launcher” which is basically a whole new “look”, and while the look is good it’s the smarts around it and the way it helps me categorise apps, while still providing a quick list of apps alphabetically and a few other tricky features which make this a great looking interface.

Screenshot_2014-07-15-10-37-28

Widgets – Kinda in the same bucket as Customisation, Widgets allow me to access information from apps without going into apps.  My Favourite is Racing Elements, a photo based weather app which shows on my home screen, then there is Twitter or Facebook which allow you to scroll through your feed or post without even opening the app.

Screenshot_2014-07-15-10-45-24

Facebook Chat Heads – Ok I know, it’s lame, but it’s very very cool.  When someone sends me a message on Facebook, a little circle appears – on top of anything (in any app) I’m doing, and it’s the face/profile of the person sending the message.

Screenshot_2014-07-15-10-41-12

I click it to view the conversation, and drag it around if it’s in the way, or drag it away to close it.  It’s great and true multi-tasking which iPhone users would absolutely love.

Quick dial favourites right on my home-screen

Quick dial favourites right on my home-screen

Favourite Contacts – I don’t call that many people, but the few I do, well – accessing them fast is great.  From widgets on your home screen to frequent contacts in the dialer, it makes life super easy. (* Frequent contacts is coming to iOS in September with iOS8 – and is already within the dialler of iOS)

Samsung Gear 2 - Making a call

Samsung Gear 2 – Making a call

Smart Watch connectivity – I was really loving the Samsung Gear 2 – just a great device, but sadly, works only with Samsung phones. We’ve got to move to an open system here – sadly, I think we’ll have two ecosystems here also, but Android vs iOS is better than just Samsung to Samsung

NB: I will update this list over the weeks ahead as I discover more things that I miss – perhaps it will drag me back?

Where Google needs to improve Android

Screenshot_2014-07-15-10-51-57

Pop Up’s – Ok, you want to add a photo to a tweet, or share it – which app would you like to use? Gallery? Photos? WHAT? GO AWAY – just show me the photos!  I get asked time and time again when I click a link – which browser should I use, when I click a video – do I want to use YouTube or a Browser?  Seriously, this is Windows-like annoying and Google has to stop it.  It’s terrible.

Responsiveness – There are times when even the best device just seems to get sluggish.  From the unlock screen to streaming Bluetooth music while using Google Maps for navigation – it’s just not perfect at all times and has frustrated me

Gallery – Google, don’t let the device makers add their own software.  Please.  They are ruining your operating system.  The Gallery from one phone to another is different, they have multiple gallery apps, some sort by date some by album, all are hard to navigate.  KIIS – Keep it simple stupid.

Play Store – It’s good, but not great.  Curate, Curate, Curate.  Get rid of the crap – it’s boosting your numbers, but ruins the experience.

App Design – I don’t know why – but I suspect it’s the million combinations of screen resolutions that developers need to cater for that means they can’t make apps look as good as they do on iOS – either that, or they are just lazy – but at times you find apps which are simply beautiful on iOS and are just “ok” on Android.  It’s frustrating.

There is no doubt that Android has a higher total device penetration than iOS, that’s what happens when you have hundreds of phones compared to two or three running the operating system.  There is also no doubt that the switch from iPhone to Android is now easier and better than ever before.

What Android needs is consistency – one user needs to be able to help another, and when a HTC user can’t quickly help a Samsung user it’s not a consistent experience.

More than anything though, the ecosystem of Apple is pulling me back – and with my wife and kids using iOS it’s hard to be the odd one out.

I can’t wait to review more Android phones, the experience has gone from being a “quick week” to several months without any concern – this is a very good thing for the Android platform.

Post Updates: Added “(in any app) to Facebook Chat Heads,  Changed phone favourites screenshot to show widget contacts not dialler favourites.

Tech

Trevor produces two of the most popular technology podcasts in Australia, Your Tech Life and Two Blokes Talking Tech. He has a weekly radio show on 2UE, as well as appearances across the country and regularly provides Technology Commentary to Channel 9’s Today Show and A Current Affair. Father of three, he is often found down in his Man Cave. Like this post? Buy Trev a drink!
  • Drew
    15 July 2014 at 10:54 pm

Err, in regards to the ‘choosing a photo’ and it bringing up where from, both of my Androids asked me once, and I just selected ‘Gallery’ and ‘Always’

15 July 2014 at 11:51 pm

Err, check instagram mate.

• Chris
        16 July 2014 at 1:40 pm

drop the attitude
        Drew is correct, you can set and forget
        As for gallery i recommend you use QuicPic (3rd party app) across all devices, its better than the stock google app (this is why android is better, you can choose!!!) Plus your lack of knowledge and reasons why each device manufacturer applies “skins” to android is evident on this one.
        The PlayStore is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was just a couple of years ago, they are curating big time, the content you see today is way better than just 1 year ago. but there are millions of app, not so easy to do as it is for you to say! Give them a few more months
        App Design tends to depend on who the developer is, there are plenty of gorgeous apps present on android that do not exist in iOS. Then you have apps that have been developed on iOS that try and get revenue from the ever growing Android market but they half ass it and its not as good as the original app from iOS which was their bread and butter. It has nothing to do with screen resolutions, for instance have you used an app like Gmail on a phone and a tablet? or the calendar app? etc. Android apps allow for modifying their layout based on screen density or dpi, the developer is responsible for this and there is no reason they can’t develop a layout for small (phones), medium and large (phablets and tablets) which would align with Apples iPhone, ipad Mini and ipad.

I really am struggling to see your justification for the switch, as these so called areas of improvement are pretty weak and there are far far more issues with iOS that should steer you away, maybe you are showing your age on this choice?

16 July 2014 at 4:20 pm

Showing my age – perhaps – but Chris, a huge percentage of the population are my age or older :) so – not sure how that’s enough to make it matter? In fact, the most valuable “customers” may well be those who have not yet “chosen” a camp:)

Android app development needs to be taken much more seriously for it to be as slick as what you get on iOS.

My lack of knowledge about skins? Please – every tech journo worth their salt in Australia was annoyed at Samsung for locking the dock for customisation – not sure how I am any different in wanting the vanilla Android experience.

• Giselle Samson
            16 July 2014 at 9:29 pm

agree with the apps (especially on tablets). Just….different quality. And the newer apps nearly ALWAYS comes out on iOS before android.

re: locking the dock for customisation. I’m pretty sure you can swap and change the apps down there…unless if it’s me on my rooted ROM (that’s a different story then).

• William
            17 July 2014 at 12:15 pm

The Dock has been unlocked in Australia for a few months now… might want to update your phones Operating System there.

17 July 2014 at 2:53 pm

Great point, but – have you got any stats as to how many users have done that update? Or how many were turned off buying because of that restriction?

• Steve Varley
      16 July 2014 at 6:25 pm

Yeah thats like android 101. its a piece of cake. and if you ever wanted to change the default thats easy to. Do some research before you write articles

16 July 2014 at 8:12 pm

Research – great idea Steve – I’ll think about that next time:) Mate, day-in day-out usage is the best form of research – a huge (overwhelming majority) of users take what their tech is and live with it – Android NEEDS to cater to these people and make the advanced stuff for people like you – cause you love it!

• Abba
          16 July 2014 at 9:10 pm

That’s exactly what Android does. Don’t change things and it works. If you’re advanced, play around and unlock a load more

• Barry
    16 July 2014 at 12:13 am

Consistency isn’t something we’re all after. I don’t need my phone to be the same from one brand to another. That’s Apple’s game, not Android/Google. Android is the base OS, and the customisation part of it is what makes it such an awesome and unique OS from one manufacturer to the next. I’ll be the first to admit, some of the apps out there are very very far from polished, but there are some truly amazing apps that are all polish, and they’re the apps that keep me coming back time and time again. Android is for people who like using phones/tablets. Customising them and making them their very own. Apple is for people who want basic functionality at the expense of having to use their smarts. THIS is what you can do with our iOS, and that’s it. You don’t WANT to do anything more with it. These are not the droids you’re looking for…

• Tony
      16 July 2014 at 5:39 pm

I agree Barry. I went from Android to Apple and if it wasn’t for the ability to jailbreak the thing I would have suffered for the year that I had it. Was so pleased to have switched back to Android. I would not switch back to Apple. They are boring as can be if you could not jailbreak them. I haven’t even started on iTunes yet and that terrible piece of chunky slow piece of crap that you have to get tied into.

16 July 2014 at 8:14 pm

The iTunes thing interests me – because having used iPhones for YEARS I can’t remember the last time I used iTunes in relation to the phone? For what purpose does one even need it on their computer – everything is OTA now on the iPhone – so how you can use a “slow piece of crap” software that is on the computer as a reason not to use a phone – im not sure? Let me know ?

• Giselle Samson
          16 July 2014 at 9:27 pm

erm…syncing music…coz you can’t drag and drop…or videos (which is played in crappy mp4 format, but that’s apple for you).

16 July 2014 at 9:28 pm

Erm – cloud?

• Giselle Samson
            16 July 2014 at 9:31 pm

uhuh that’s great if you have unlimited data…or if you stay in a good mobile data zone. don’t get me wrong, cloud is great, but just from personal and friends’ experience (if it’s great for you then…lucky you! haha)

• Tony
          18 July 2014 at 5:57 am

iTunes is just one of many items that I dislike about apple and iOS. I have a music collection in Flac and extensive extremely extensive. I will admit upgrades to iOS from the time I lasted had an iPhone that have managed to catch up with android features i.e curtain.

I remember having been away on a business trip having to take my iPhone to a phone shop and asking them if they could charge my my phone and having to leave it there to charge while I went and had something to eat. With my android phone (Samsung) I have a spare battery that I can just change over. I’m a very very very heavy phone user due to my field of work.Apple can’t even compare in the battery stakes.

I prefer the way you hit the back arrow to go back one position within the OS or within apps. As for the apps there is no app that I use that isn’t available in both flavours for my use. Apple have fantastic build quality of their products and I wish that Samsung would lift their game in regards to the build quality. I would still have to see significant improvements to the OS for me to change back to apple. Like many things it’s personal preference.

• Wilson J Barnaby
    16 July 2014 at 4:03 pm

Nice work on going against the exodus. Enjoy your fisher price toy.

And consistency? Nay sir. The differences are what has driven Android to the top. If I spend so much on a device, I want to show it off. Not much point showing it off if they’re all the same. Remember the days of going to get the latest nokia knowing it would be dramatically different to the previous one?

16 July 2014 at 4:18 pm

Fisher Price make the best toys Wilson:) Still more people recognise and love for the iPhone that I see – Samsung has made up the most ground, but – not enough – yet

• Damien
    16 July 2014 at 4:13 pm

Wow, so because of a few very minor things, you are giving up a list of things you love. Weird.

16 July 2014 at 4:17 pm

Perhaps I should give them a weighting of sorts, because for all those good, they don’t make it worth staying – yet. But I’ve never been so close to being convinced.. just – not this time

• Giselle Samson
      16 July 2014 at 9:33 pm

keep in mind these are HIS opinion…i’m sure any reasonable person out there will take any commentator’s comments with a pinch of salt. If you love your phone, then great…if you feel you’re missing something…get a different OS when your contract expires.

16 July 2014 at 9:34 pm

Damn straight – he’s a commentator – what would he know!

• James Boag
    16 July 2014 at 4:29 pm

Obviously an Apple Fanboy

16 July 2014 at 4:46 pm

Obviously not an open-minded commenter:)

• AndroidMan
    16 July 2014 at 4:39 pm

Whatever applefag.

16 July 2014 at 4:45 pm

Great way to sell your argument! :) Gibberer

• JT
    16 July 2014 at 5:10 pm

I’ve never used an Apple and never will but I do see why people do use Apple. It’s easier to understand and isn’t a very techie type phone and this works well, especially for the older generation like my mum. In terms on apps looking better to iOS.. I doubt that. I compare my S5 game display to an IPhone 5s and it seriously looks like crap on the iPhone.

16 July 2014 at 8:17 pm

I think once you get past, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and some of the top apps, and look at more broad apps – lets say Belkin Wemo – it’s amazing, but for some reason, there’s something there in the Android App which takes away from it – it just doesn’t look as good – and i’m SURE its because it’s built to work from tiny screen to tablet – and that’s an area they need to address in the ecosystem

• Aaron
    16 July 2014 at 5:25 pm

The M8 is possibly the greatest device I’ve every used and my list of devices, current and past, is fairly significant. Android is the main reason it’s so great. The M8 is packed full of hardware, but it’s the Sense UI which puts it head and shoulders above everything else. I’ve had the misfortune of dealing with Apple devices (tabs, phones, laptops and desktops running both OSX and Win) and simply cannot fathom why anyone with a choice would choose to lock themselves to Apple and it’s shitty ecosphere. As others have said, your lists of hits is significant and your misses seem greatly less so.

• Steve Varley
    16 July 2014 at 6:27 pm

Apple is good for the technologically impaired as its simple and straight forward, whenever i have someone ask me my opinion on what phone they should get. My first question is always how and what do you intend to use your phone for and how adept are you in your own opinion with technology

16 July 2014 at 8:11 pm

And Steve, you’ve just described every single phone call I take on the radio when people ask ME what phone to get – it’s about working out someone’s skill level, and plans – then determine best fit.

• Lauren
    16 July 2014 at 6:50 pm

Facebook on iPhone has chat heads too… so one less thing to miss :) I love Apple products and certainly hope they dont make them any bigger – I can’t stand how big Androids are!

16 July 2014 at 8:11 pm

Love it Lauren, but on Android it’s better – it works in all apps – not just the Facebook app

There are some Androids that are the same size or similar to iPhone – worth checking out for sure!

• Abba
    16 July 2014 at 7:45 pm

Haha, the app selection pop, as mentioned is easily fixed by clicking ALWAYS when selecting the app.

The gallery/consistency issue can be fixed by finding a gallery that you like in the app store, and using it across ALL Android devices (this wouldn’t work on Apple devices because of point I)

Samsung dock can be fixed by using a different launcher – which you admitted you do.

The “crap” in the market may be another person’s treasure. Who are we to say what should or shouldn’t be available?

Basically all of your negative points are irrelevant, or actually positives.

16 July 2014 at 8:10 pm

Abba : “haha” no, that just doesn’t always work – simple as that.

Gallery solution is great but 99.9% of users have no idea what you are talking about, so they won’t see that, or know that, and it will frustrate.

ANother launcher – great, but – again 99.999999% have no idea what a launcher is mate.

And in summary, everyone (including me) needs to appreciate these are a personal decisions – what works for you might not work for me, you – like me, need to accept that.

• Abba
        16 July 2014 at 8:23 pm

The 99% of users who have no idea how to download a gallery app don’t need to know. They won’t test a plethora of Android devices to confuse them, and will be familiar with the native gallery on their device.

Again, the issue of “another launcher” is a direct response to you wanting to change the dock. Of the 99% of users that have no idea how to download a launcher, 99% don’t want to change the dock…you certainly can’t change the iPhone equivalent.

I’m all for personal decisions, what I’m not for is an article portraying itself as impartial, but clearly having an agenda. Your negatives – such as inconsistency between devices etc is irrelevant as users don’t have multiple devices. Especially those who aren’t tech savvy enough to work out the current Android devices. The gallery on any given Android phone sorts in the same way all the time – just like it does on the iPhone. The dock can’t be changed on the S5 – just as it can’t on iPhone. Etc. The difference is, for those who are capable Android offers alternatives.

Fine, you prefer Apple, that’s great, but don’t justify it with half truths.

16 July 2014 at 8:26 pm

On the Gallery, what Android needs is the best experience out of the box, and I’m saying that’s not the case – it should be better.

Launcher: Um.. yes, you can change the four apps on the bottom of iPhone no problem

And while I appreciate your comment, this article is opinion – its my experience and my thoughts – healthy debate is great – i’m not sure where the Half Truths are.

That being said, I would PREFER to use a HTC ONE – great DEVICE, but it’s just not “there” yet for me on a software and android app level.

• Abba
            16 July 2014 at 9:22 pm

We can agree on one thing – the M8 is the best all round device right now.

I use a Samsung simply because I’m on last gen at the moment, none of the latest gen did enough to sell me am update. The M8 is great, but I was put off by the size (S4, possibly S5 is as big as I’m willing to go) and the camera.

The half truths I referenced were the comments made out of context. I don’t believe at all that the galleries out of the box on most Android devices are hard to navigate. They may be different to each other, but not complex – especially if that’s what you’re used to, and everyone is used to their own phone. I would find it harder to use an iPhone gallery, I’m sure.

“The best experience out of the box” for one person isn’t the same for the next. You like the iOS gallery, and claim you don’t like ANY Android gallery, but don’t give reasons or examples. That’s a half truth. It’s not a point against Android.

• Phoneuser
    16 July 2014 at 7:56 pm

keep it simple stupid – pretty much sums up apple fans. Wouldn’t want to have to use that brain now would we?

16 July 2014 at 8:08 pm

That’s the spirit:) A lot of users need simplicity, this is a new experience for many many people remember

• Giselle Samson
        16 July 2014 at 9:40 pm

Honestly….i’ve used symbian and android, so i’ve some experience in flashing bits and pieces…but sometimes i take a step back and ask myself…wouldn’t it be nice if i can just have a phone where i don’t have to do anything. I am leaning towards the wp lumia (probably the successor of 1020) as my next upgrade (end of jan). i’m not a fan of iOS just because..i don’t really care much for apps and wp is just…different. BUT i digress.

the point is simple is not necessarily a bad thing. the grass is always greener on the other side. Each OS has their unique and fun features.

• Mark
    16 July 2014 at 8:49 pm

Nice article. I don’t understand all the hating I have Samsung S5, HTC M8, Samsung Note 3, Nokia Lumia 930 and iPhone 5S and don’t thing you said anything wrong and don’t understand the haters.i also think that the iPhone is the most reliable of the bunch and the M8 would be second, I am finding the Lumia very good but I’ve only had it one week so to early to tell.

Good work

• Giselle Samson
      16 July 2014 at 9:47 pm

i would put in the vote that the iOS is the BEST all rounder. good camera; good quick, non-laggy OS; awesome app ecosystem; beautiful build. too small though and quite restricted…multimedia access (drag and drop…mkv movies)

android is great, with it’s best feature being…customisation. Whether it’s just downloading a different gallery/camera (google)/keyboard/launcher (gosh the list goes on) or getting a different ROM (xposed is awesome too). the bad thing is the lack of optimised (and i stress this) apps; as well as occasionaly lags.

Wp is also a great OS; simple to use, great build quality (typical nokia), great camera tech, great social hubs (you can tweet, facebook on the SAME page!…too bad no whatsapp). and i love how they have that swooshing animation to mask the ‘lag’. Imagine if android had those animations..you wouldn’t have the half a second in black page as the app opens up.

just my 2cs

• Kate
    16 July 2014 at 9:09 pm

I’ve had both an apple and an android. I’m not a techie, but I know enough. I would never go back to apple. I have family that get me to help with issues (PC, phones, internet etc) and they all know, if it’s an apple product I won’t touch it. Android is great that you can sync on any brand android email/contacts/calendars using gmail. Right now I have the Samsung, but if I want to go a HTC next time it’s no big deal to re-sync them to the new phone.

I also agree that Itunes is crap. I used to use it to sync music between my computer music library. I’d come home and connect the phone and it would tell me I’d synced to another library and I’d have to wipe what’s on the phone to put the new stuff on. Ridiculous when I hadn’t connected my phone to anything. Also family sometimes want some of my music, or entire photo albums and you can’t just connect them to your library and sync, otherwise they will experience my above issue when they try and connect back to their own library. With android, you can copy and paste so easily from any one’s PC.

You can fix the ‘open with’ options by selecting open with gallery, then clicking the ‘always’ button – two options that appear which are ‘Just Once’ and ‘Always’. Not sure where you’re getting that screenshot from because I’ve had an s4 for over a year and I selected always and it has never popped up since!

Only con I can think of is that Flash isn’t available on android tablets.

Also not being picky, but the title of your article doesn’t really suit. I had to re read your article because you didn’t list any pros about the Iphone only pros about Android. Was the entire point of your article to say you went back to Iphone because that’s what your wife and kids use? Maybe you should call it ‘I prefer Iphones’ Otherwise fair enough you like Iphones. Each to their own.

Advice to anyone reading, if you want a functional and customizable interface – buy an Android.
    If you want an overpriced device, that locks you down – go the Apple.

• Abba
      16 July 2014 at 9:24 pm

Nailed it

• Giselle Samson
      16 July 2014 at 9:54 pm

while it’s true that apple locks you down….they lock you down but with great service with their ipads and macs. Look at buggy wp and their desktop counterparts. It wasn’t until the 8.1 update that you can FINALLY have apps you bought on your phone synced to the desktop! But the important part is what you’ll be using your phone for.

Are you a customizing addict (of whatever level, i can assure anyone reading this that they will try to customise more and MORE)? android

are you into the latest apps? (android as a general rule, will have to wait a few months for new apps that’s came out in the itunes store…eg, walking dead game) apple

BUT WAIT, there’s more

is camera really important to you? lumia 1020

want to use your phone as a notepad? note 3

can’t be bothered buying a tablet, rather a phablet instead for videos? z ultra or the galaxy mega or 1520 (great camera too)

do you already have macs/ipads? 5s

oh gosh there are soo many variables actually.

• Kate
        16 July 2014 at 10:10 pm

Lock you down with great service?? The one single person I know with a MAC (and that is for their job) has had it two months and it’s already given her trouble. Seriously, I only know 1 person with a MAC. And I don’t need phone/tablet apps on my desktop PC. It works fine the way it is.

I dislike the Ipad because of it’s limitations (pretty much the same as the Iphone). Personally I have a note tablet because apple cannot compare to the s pen for note taking which is essential in meetings.

To be fair, when the Iphone first came out – it was ahead of the game. The only reason it is still around is that people will buy what other people are buying to be ‘cool’. I think we’ve seen with the market share that their popularity is dwindling because people are starting to use their brain before buying.

• Giselle Samson
          17 July 2014 at 12:14 pm

happy for you…too bad the whole world is not a ‘kate’. I was just pointing out the different variables of people’s needs and you mentioned what’s good for you. so yeh that’s great for you and your little world.

the main reason for their ‘dwindling’ (not that bad honestly…most of android’s gains are from their lower end devices…which apple has none except for the ridiculously priced 5c..but i digress once more), is their screen size…4 inch..

i’ve used an iOS and android (and wp), and most of the time the apps on the iOS is just much better executed. I OWN a note 2 (rooted with s5/note 3 features), so yes i want android to ‘win’, but you have to face the facts.

for me i love to root my devices all night long. I appreciate the multiwindows and the spen (like you do). but some of my friends don’t give a damn about these features. They want to play the walking dead without waiting for 4 months till it comes out for play store (luckily season 2 is out almost the same time YAY!), but there are other apps that’s just well executed in iOS.

ahwell as long as people do their research and try things out. if it works for you great. obviously android didn’t work for trevor, but hey…maybe he doesn’t give a rat’s ass about multiwindows and the spen like us haha

ps i’m 100pc sure ios will come out with a new ‘innovation’ through the use of multiwindows

• Giselle Samson
    16 July 2014 at 10:03 pm

actually the ‘pop up’ thing you mentioned is what i love about android. I was just using my brother’s lumia 1020 and the thing i missed the most was…this feature! My brother uses line, another one uses whatsapp and my gf uses normal messaging…sometimes whatsapp. So say i want to share a webpage, i can choose whichever app i need to use (depending on who i want to send it to). On WP, the IE does not give me this option. it’s either email (gmail/live) or social (facebook/twitter). not sure what the status is on IE 11 (WP8.1).

Or say if you took a screenshot, all you have to do is slide notification down, click share and done. On WP you had to go to photos, find the screenshot then share it…through email.

i haven’t used iOS in a while so i can’t comment on this.

• Tboy
    16 July 2014 at 10:48 pm

Fair enough mate, you have your opinions and if Apple and IOS work for you, cool. I have to disagree about your statement that “… 99.999% have no idea what a launcher is.” Go to Google Play, search for launchers and then check the install numbers for the top rated launchers. There are literally tens of millions for some of them (eg Nova, Apex, ADW) and GO Launcher has 100’s of millions of installs. Also check the install stats for popular Android ROMS like CyanogenMod, SlimRom, EchoeRom etc as they also number in the tens of millions. I have had 4 android devices and have always been able to select the default app for my gallery (I always use Quickpick as someone else stated above.) After setting a default app for a selected function I no longer get that “choose” option you are are referring too. I’m not sure what is going on there mate.

• Ashley Knowles
    16 July 2014 at 11:27 pm

I’d recommend you try out the ACTUAL flagship Android device – the Google (LG) Nexus 5. It certainly doesn’t have speed problems, doesn’t come with Samsung and HTC’s bloat ware, and I find it rarely locks up. It’s a purist device, it’s Android’s answer to the iPhone. There’s a swagger of good Android devices, but none of them touch on the Nexus 5 for performance and stability.

It also makes full use of Google Now, and it’s only implemented ‘seamlessly’ on this device I believe. Google Now, for the inept, is Google’s answer to Siri, but also has a raft of additional functionality that I find amazingly valuable.

• Nexus 5 Owner
      17 July 2014 at 2:43 pm

This. Nexus 5 hands down is the best Android device on the market to date.

17 July 2014 at 2:50 pm

Sadly, it’s market share in Australia (let alone globally) is minuscule, so it’s not representative of the “average user” android experience – I agree, if the GS5 was vanilla like Nexus – we’d have a real tough choice!

• Ranga
    17 July 2014 at 10:59 am

What, no comment in your review on being able to change your keyboard and not having to toggle between the letters to the punctuation and numbers and back and forth forever to enter a password that can be done without changing the screen a million times? or the ability to enter text efficiently with swype instead of punching the phone buttons?

17 July 2014 at 3:08 pm

Hey Ranga, fair call – and honestly, knowing that is coming in just two months – well – it’s a moot point. But well raised

• Phil
    17 July 2014 at 12:16 pm

Dude your article made my blood boil at how much of an android noob you are. Do you even get the functionality the pop-up menu adds to android? You can select “always” so it doesn’t come up again either.
    My android is smoother and more responsive by iPhone by far with CyanogenMod.

Yahoo launcher? Please get the phuck off android and stop giving this superior system a bad name.

IPhone was made for you Trevor.

17 July 2014 at 2:52 pm

BREAKING NEWS: people every day are becoming android “noobs” – Those are the people I care about, I don’t write or review for people who have all the info or even consider to know what CyanogenMod is – you’re across it.

So, mate, “Phuck off” and stop your AndroidFanboi trolling.

Back to you:)

• Phil
    17 July 2014 at 5:36 pm

Yes they become noobs after reading your poorly informed opinion.

I’m gobsmacked at how articles like this slip through.

A “tech” writer who prefers a noob audience so they don’t realise there’s nothing technical about the writing at all.

Lol @ Facebook chatheads being one of your strong points for android. So noob.