BEST 4WD 2014 – Nissan Patrol V8 – EFTM

BEST 4WD 2014 – Nissan Patrol V8

Nissan Patrol ST-L

What the hell are doing awarding a gong to an Elephant sized 4WD monster armed with a 5.7-litre 298kW PETROL V8? Well that’s the point of the EFTM Best award, it’s all about casting aside normal sensibilities – like having to sell the idea of buying one to your wife.

Nissan Patrol ST-L

Nissan Patrol V8 ST-L

The mammoth Nissan Patrol V8 sits alongside the far more sensible yet truck-like grey nomad favourite (Y61) which is still on sale. At over five metres long and just a tick under two metres wide the Y62 Patrol V8 has interior space approaching tennis court dimensions. The creamy, meaty V8 is like having a coal-fired power plant at your disposal, it pulls like a bullock train. Not neck snapping pace, but sheer, relentless pull.

No mater what grade you choose the Patrol V8 offers an impressively furnished cabin, with up to 8-seats on offer. You’d think for a monolith that even out does a Land Cruiser for size driving one would be an intimidating experience. Not so, with heavily assisted light steering the massive frame shrinks around you. With time you find yourself easily darting in and out of traffic with surprising ease.

SAMSUNG CSC

Plus off-road we can faithfully report the Patrol V8 will slay just about any situation you could reasonably throw at it. It’s a marvel that humans can create such a machine, it’s true that many humans won’t buy one, because to do so is simply an act of inhumanity upon our dear planet. But gee we bloody love it, just staggering.

Motoring

Chris works at Australia's leading radio station 2GB. He's worked on three radio Olympic games broadcasts, attending Beijing 2008 & London 2012. Deep down Chris harbours ambitions to one day sit behind the microphone himself. Aside from radio his other great passion is the motor car. Strangely he owns a Toyota Camry Hybrid, he defiantly rejects the knockers. Chris is married to Gillian and resides in Sydney's North West. They have Sam the English Springer Spaniel and Felix the Burmese cat to keep them company.
  • Dean
    25 June 2014 at 5:09 pm

Just shows that EFTM has very little credibility if they award an over price lump with no diesel option the award.

25 June 2014 at 7:55 pm

And just shows your inability to read Dean – read the post mate.. Please, spare us this tripe

• noel rider
      3 July 2014 at 10:16 am

you obviously drive an over rated Toyota or something like it

• Chris Bowen
    25 June 2014 at 8:07 pm

You driven one Dean?

• Justin
    26 June 2014 at 10:34 am

I have one, and it’s the best 4WD I’ve ever owned. I’ve had various Patrols (Petrol & Diesel), 2 Landcruisers, an F250 and a Landrover. Nothing comes close to this thing. It’s like an AMG or HSV 4WD…. heaps of muscle! Comfort levels that surprise anyone who jumps in. If fuel consumption bothers you, you’d be surprised. We get around 18L/100ks in the city and a very respectable 12L/100ks on the HWY. Hang 3 ton off the back and it’s virtually the same. You won’t take this one off me in a hurry!

• Mal Stirling
    26 June 2014 at 11:54 am

I own a new Patrol and I have owned Pajero’s and Prado’s in the past. I was looking for a vehicle that could fit my four teenage children and the odd boy friend, in comfort and with ease of entry into all seats. We also ride bikes and have horses and a boat, so towing and some 4WD ability. Well i am very happy with my patrol and at around $40 000 less than the Landcruiser I think it is great value, there is nothing more comfortable in all three rows, nothing that tows like this thing and hey it will even leave the P plater in his old SS behind at the lights. On road its BIG, but with the sensors, reverse camera and a shape that makes it feel a lot smaller. The only issue is the fuel, I must say to have nearly 300kw and 650nm on tap with a monster that is 2.5 ton and get an average 14.5lt per 100 km for my last 30 000km, well I am very happt with that indeed. Off road, well I do light off road work and this thing is better than the Pajero, better than the Prado and well let the experts put it against the Landcruiser? All up, looks ok, drives well, fits 7 with comfort plus gear behind the seats, tows like there is nothing attached to the car and goes like a cut snake with a nice little V8 note! At about 2lt per 100km more than a Deisel Cruiser, it will take a lot of KM to make up the extra $40 000 buy price of the Toyota. Is it selling well, no, that gives you plenty of bargaining power at the dealer to grab one on road under $66 000 or about the same price as a base Prado. Re sale may be the the one that may bite us on the arse? Like Justin, this one is not going to leave our family in a hurry!

• Nessy
    26 June 2014 at 7:07 pm

My husband gave me a y62 and I love it, it has everything comfort, power dream to drive as far as the economy goes check the stats over 5 years and theres very little difference between petrol and diesel referring to running costs.
    Besides diesel is a dirty stinking filthy fuel and rated number one for carsenen along with asbestos. The diesel mentality is an Australian issue.
    Besides power that performs has a cost.
    Love my Patrol and now its even heavier cause I loaded with ARB accessories, and like everyone
    else that has one IT,S A KEEPER!
    TO INFINITY AND BEYOND.

• Josh
    27 June 2014 at 9:00 am

Everyone who rates this thing (and the 200 series) isn’t ever going to truly test it offroad. You all want an SUV that is comfortable and can tow a massive caravan. Take this lump really offroad and you will see the Y61 will drive rings around it.

• James
      27 June 2014 at 5:02 pm

You’re possibly right Josh, but considering I bought one March 2014, for $52,000 drive away with 6 year/150,000km factory warranty, rubber mats, 3.5 tone capable tow pack, sports roof bars, true low range, electronic rear diff lock, 8 seats, tri zone climate control, loads of torque and travels pulling our jayco van with family of 5 and luggage comfortably @ 17ltr/100 at any speed i want to drive at…. i couldn’t come at buying the y61 which doesn’t even have side airbag safety for my kids. Basically I couldn’t find anything better under $60k. Ps. I also traded in a v6 commodore vz sedan (120,000km) probably worth 3-4k at the time of purchase. I fully intend to take it to the high country dirt biking and have seen others install lift kits on them and better wheels for serious off roading.

• Bruce
    28 June 2014 at 12:20 am

Hey Josh I got a Ti-L Y62… Also got a 4.2L TDI GU in the car port as a project. The only thing. That the 4.2 has is. Clearance and economy when towing. Pick your lines the Y62 will go most places your y61 will go, I’m a 32 year old and fairly reckless, I push my toys to their limits. Drive rings around it not that easily mate.

• Travis Giles
    19 July 2015 at 12:46 am

Actually Josh almost all of my off roading has been with a td42 gu alongside me, with the exception of ramp over angle on a particularly steep exit the y62 has outperformed the gu in every circumstance, from rock climbing, to muddy forests and beach work, i even made a back to back video on YouTube…been out wheeling with a modded v8 cruiser ute on 35s and just about everything else you can think of…every single one of them left amazed at the y62s ability off road.. But why would I know, I only own one and use it hard odd road…all the real experts know that you need a slow dirty diesel and live axles to go 4x4ing…funny how this country is literally the only place with that attitude…shows how backwards we are…well except for the como trucks, majority of them are using petrol v8s these days

• noel rider
      22 July 2015 at 6:53 pm

I think the japs should listen to what we want in Australia. we need that v6 common rail diesel in that y62 patrol. and also how about a v6 common rail diesel for the y61. this makes perfect sense and just think of the sales side of it it would be brilliant.

• Travis Giles
    19 July 2015 at 12:47 am

I need to proof read before writing posts using my phone, the grammar nazi in me is cringing reading the above…